June 14, 2009

Another Interesting Photography Exhibit...


Through July 12, 2009, you can see photographs by Camilo Jose Vergara (left) in a show called: Harlem, 1970-2009 at the New York Historical Society (170 Central Park West, NYC). Since he came from Chile to the US in the mid 60's, Vergara has been "haunted" by American cities.  The people and places of Harlem are the subject of this show.

Often, when one looks at photos or art work very different from their own, he/she can gain some new perspectives.  For me, it even works with dance. After working all day and night on a shoot yesterday, I went to a performance by the Alvin Ailey Dance Theater today. One thing that struck me was the use of diagonal lines in much of the choreography. How to bring those strong diagonals to my wedding photography will be something I think about on my next shoot.
Have you seen any good art shows lately? What was the 
connection to your photography?

Nancy

2 comments:

Kathy Harris Photographer, NJ said...

Check this out ... The Newark Museum, "Unbounded: New Art for a New Century" - featuring a wide range of artistic media and more than 30 contemporary artists. I have not been yet - show is open until Aug 16.

PPANJ-NorthRegion said...

Looks like a good show.

Will post it. thanks.